The Digital Lab Africa call for projects #3 closed on the 31st of January 2019 with around 500 entries from over 30 Sub-Saharan African countries.
From April 12th to 28th, Source Code Gallery will host the live online pitch competition for Digital Lab Africa #3. You can vote for the winners in the area’s of Animation, Digital Music, VR, Game and Transmedia Online.
Chosen by the DLA Selection Committees, the 10 winners of the Pitch Competition will be revealed on the 30th of April.
In addition, the project which will gather the most votes on the platform will be awarded with a special prize (DLA Audience Award) including an invitation (for 1 person) to one of the DLA Industry events in France or in the Sub-Saharan African region (flight ticket, accommodation & accreditation covered by DLA). The 10 winners get aR42,000 cash prize and a tailor-made incubation programme to accelerate their project development with mentors from French & Sub-Saharan creative industries, a residency period in France within a digital cluster/hub, and participation at industry events in France and/or in Sub-Saharan African region.
The 30 finalists of the DLA Pitch Competition are…
- BABA by Justus Macharia (Kenya)
- FROZILLA by Komborerai Chapfika (Zimbabwe)
- HERBBEINGS – THE MIND TEA LEAF by Abisola Aboaba (Nigeria)
- LITTLE LITTLE ORISHAS by Archange Kiyindou (Republic oftheCongo)
- RINGA MZANSIby Lwazi Msipha (South Africa)
- UZIby Naddya Adhiambo Oluoch-Olunya (Kenya)
*Animation Selection Committee: Stuart Forrest,Triggerfish Animation Studios (South Africa) | Eric Réginaud,Ciclic (France) | Marie-Anne Fontenier, Nef Animation (France) | Lesego Vorster, Hidden Hand Studios(South Africa) | Isaac Mogajane, Diprente Films (South Africa)
- CARTOGRAPHIE DES RÉGIONS MUSICALES DU MALI by Tiécoura N’Daou (Mali)
- MAN WALKS INTO A BAR by Matthew Cuthbert (South Africa)
- MEET THE ARTIST by Okuhle Magcaba (South Africa)
- PENDO by Wako Sefara and Muendo Mullei Muindi (South Africa)
- RE/MEMBER YOUR DESCENDANTS by Xabiso Vili (South Africa)
- REUNIONby Bokang Lehlokoe and Nomonde Jele (South Africa)
*Web Creation Selection Committee: Heidelinde Blumers, ARTE (France) | Kenneth Kaplan, Bioskope pictures (South Africa) | Indra de Lanerolle,JamLab (South Africa).
- AKULELE PROGRAMME by Tabitha Karaba (Kenya)
- FRONTLINE SESSION by Norton Nyandeni (South Africa)
- JOKKO TEXTby Mamadou Dione (Senegal)
- STREAMBEATS LIVE by Cédrick Mezui Beckdan (Gabon)
- SUNKAMBEby Shaka Ramulifho (South Africa)
- SWAGGIFY by Marvin Madyara (Zimbabwe)
*Digital Music Selection Committee: Sevi Spanoudi, Black Major (South Africa) | Thibaut Mullings, Idol (France/South Africa) | Alain Bidjeck, Centre des cultures d’Afrique (France).
- I AM A WOMAN DEFINED / STORIES ABOUT HER by Charmaine Chitate (Zimbabwe)
- PHENDULA by Gugulethu Duma & Regina Kgatle (South Africa)
- SIYA KHUMBULA by Isaac Zavale & Antonio Marin (South Africa/Mozambique)
- THE AFROCYBORG VR FILM COLLECTIVE by Shmerah Passchier & The Afrocyborg Collective (South Africa)
- TRVLR by Komborerai Chapfika (Zimbabwe)
- THE CROSSING by Tafadzwa Hove (South Africa/Zimbabwe)
* Virtual Reality Selection Committee: Ulrico Grech-Cumbo, Ambrosia XR(South Africa) | Caitlin Robinson, Electric South(South Africa) | Jérémy Pouilloux, La Générale de production(France) | TeganBristow, Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival (South Africa).
- AHKUNOBI by Ebube Ofili (Nigeria)
- MANCALA PLUS by Setriakor Nyomi (Ghana)
- PRECIOUS CARGO by Simone Beneke-Graham, Shannon Bennetts, Rowan Brough & NiallGraham (South Africa)
- RIZIKI by George Ahere (Kenya)
- WAHENGA – THE LOST ANCESTORS by Salim Burusu (Kenya)
*Video Game Selection Committee: Francis Ingrand, SNJV/Plug In Digital (France) | Nicholas Hall, Make Games SA/IESA (SouthAfrica) | Maud Renusson, Pictanovo (France) | Sidick Bakayoko, Paradise Game (IvoryCoast).